Litte Known Facts About the Ijaws #13

Okrika – Ijaw and the Port Harcourt Old Township: Okrika lands, among others extend into the old Port Harcourt Township, according to historical sources:

“ The geography of Okrika also extends to Port Harcourt. By the Hargroove agreement of 18 May 1913 between the leading chiefs and headmen of the various communities which owned Port Harcourt on the one hand, and Alexander George Boyle and Saint George, Deputy Governor of the Colony and Protectorate of Southern Nigeria on the other hand, the portion of Port Harcourt owned by Okrika consitutes the present old Port Harcourt Township, stretching from the Borikiri/Marine Base axis to Elechi water-side, cutting across Ikwerre road through Mile One market Diobu to D/Line. The D/line periphery runs through Aba road, encircling the creek opposite the former Ministry of information. There is also the Trans-Amadi area including, Amadi-Ama, Abuloma, Okuruma down to the Zoo area….”

Taken from – Ogan C (1988) Unity of A People (Search for Peace in Okrika Rivers State Nigeria), p8

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *